Role of the County Assembly of Nyeri
- Representation- One of the critical roles of the Members of the County Assembly (MCAs) is to represent the residents of their respective wards in the County Assembly. The MCAs have a duty to maintain close contact with the electorate and consult on issues before or under discussion in the County Assembly, present views, opinions and proposals of the electorate to the County Assembly, attend sessions of the County Assembly and its committees and provide a linkage between the county assembly and the electorate on public service delivery.
- Legislation-The County Assembly of Nyeri is mandated to make laws and policies that are necessary for the effective performance of the functions and exercise of the powers of the County Government under the 4th schedule of the Constitution.
- Oversight-The County Assembly while respecting the principle of the separation of powers, has the mandate to exercise oversight over the County Executive Committee and any other County Executive Organs.
- Approving of plans and policies- The county assembly is mandated to receive and approve plans and policies for: - the management and exploitation of the county’s resources; the development and management of its infrastructure and institutions.
- Vetting and approval-To vet and approve nominees for appointment to county public offices.
- Consider County Government Budget Estimates- Section 131 of the Public Finance Management Act states that the County Assembly shall consider the County Government budget estimates with a view of approving them, with or without amendments. Any recommendations by the County Assembly should take into account the views of the County Executive Committee Member for finance and the Public.
- Approve borrowing by County Government- Article 212 of the Constitution provides that a County Government may borrow only when the loan is guaranteed by the National Government and with the approval of the County Assembly.
- Approve county development planning- section 8 of the County Government Act provides that one of the roles of the County Assembly is to approve County Development Planning.
- To perform any other role set out by the Constitution or legislation.